Creativity in Fashion Design
Colour illustrations, perforated
Creativity is thought to be a central component of design, but what is it, exactly, and what role does it play in fashion design? Often, creativity is misunderstood as an exceptional phenomenon or a gift that some people have and some people don't. Creativity in Fashion Design will teach students that creativity is a tool available to anyone who understands its components. Students are introduced to the foundations of creativity, with particular emphasis on exploring and developing one's individual and collaborative creativity relative to fashion design. Through a series of practical workbook exercises, students will learn how to actively seek the characteristics and environments that foster creativity and avoid the factors that inhibit it. They will build an inspiration journal that will show them how creativity functions within their own design processes. As a result, students will build a portfolio of ideas and inspirations and discover that true creativity must also achieve some end, whether it's artistic, aesthetic, or a response to market needs.
- Workbook format balances creativity theory with immediate application
- Inspiration journal templates show students how to sort and combine their ideas creatively
- Inspirational quotes from the fashion industry and beyond break up the theoretical portions of the text
- Chapter-opening vignettes place the concept of each chapter in a fashion industry context
- Boldly-illustrated activities are truly interactive-by the end of the book it will have become the student's own creation